Tuesday 21 September 2010

Video analysis The Script - Talk You Down




I can feel the color running

As it's fading from my face

Try to speak but nothings coming

Nothing I could say to make you stay

Grabbed your suitcase called a taxi

It's 3 a.m. now where you gonna go?

Gonna stay with friends in London

And that's all I get to know

Just a cigarette gone

No you couldn't' be that far

So I'm driving in my car where I hope you are

Maybe I can talk you down

Maybe I can talk you down

We're standing on a tiny ledge

Before this goes over the edge

Gonna use my heart and not my head

And try to open up your eyes

This is relationship suicide

'Cause if you go I go

Taking shortcuts through the alleys

While your racing through my mind

Cops can chase but they wont catch me

Not before I get to speak my mind

If there's still time

Just a cigarette gone

No you couldn't be that far

So I'm driving in my car where I hope you are

Maybe I can talk you down

Maybe I can talk you down

We're standing on a tiny ledge

Before this goes over the edge

Gonna use my heart and not my head

And try to open up your eyes

This is relationship suicide

'Cause if you go I go

'Cause if you go I go

'Cause if you go I go

'Cause if you go I go

We're standing on a tiny ledge

Before this goes over the edge

Gonna use my heart and not my head

Just a cigarette gone

No you couldn't be that far

So I'm driving in my car where I hope you are

Maybe I can talk you down

Maybe I can turn around

We're standing on a tiny ledge

Before this goes over the edge

Gonna use my heart and not my head

And try to open up your eyes

This is relationship suicide



After viewing a number of videos I decided that this music video most resembles the genre of music my group and I were looking at.

The opening scene shows diegetic sound of the first instrument played. The piano is heard and seen being played before there is a close up of the main vocalist as he begins to sing. The audience sees a flash of the last scene which is not understandable until the end.


The first scene of the video is dimmed light while the music is slow showing depression and upset. The video starts to tell a story when there is a women shown in a long shot walking down the street. The scene is over-cranked so that her movement is slower and to the pace of the music. As he sings 'grab your suitcase, call a taxi' she grabs hold of her suitcase in a close up shot and we see the taxi pull up in-front of her which shows the visuals mimicking the lyrics. The scene shows a blued effect to it which gives the feel of melancholy.

The music then speeds up along with the number of cuts so the video moves quicker. The video becomes brighter as the streets light up. We see a close up of the woman sitting in the back of the taxi looking sad before it cuts to the main vocalist bursting out the door and rushing to his car giving us the idea that he is running after her. The whole band is shown in a long shot when the guitar and drums are being played. The pace of the music speeds up again and a number of different shots are shown to understand the story - flashes of the woman in the taxi, to the busy town, to him in his car and to the band singing. He goes through a red light to show the urgency of him trying to get to her, but there is a shot of a police car to show he was spotted. 'Cops can chase but they won't catch me' is shown him singing this line in the car with police lights in the distance.


'Racing through my mind' - the car he is driving races past the camera. He turns around to look and the camera goes into a close up shot of his foot pressing the accelerator right down. There is a close up of a photo of the couple before it cuts to a side on shot of her crying looking out of the window. Throughout the song it says 'cos if you go, I go' which relates to him chasing her. There is a crash between the lead vocalist and the taxi with a third car. We hear the diegetic sound of the tyres screeching and the initial crash. There is then a shot shown which was seen in the beginning of the video.


We then see a shot of both of them coming through the windscreen but heading towards each other with their arms out and glass shattered all around them - they are both lit up like angels from the car headlights. They grab hands and he pulls her down towards him - 'talk you down'.


'Cos if you go I go' is repeated four times as they hold hands looking at each other and the camera pans out. Throughout the video the mise en scene shows the two main characters to be wearing black, grey and other dark colours which mirrors the tone of the song being melancholic. The music ends with a final hit of the drums and keyboard then all the shattered glass drops and we hear the diegetic sound of it hitting the floor with a police siren in the distance the scene fades out as the video finishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment